The other day users were getting some strange errors on a page containing an InfoPath form. Users were seeing an error that read “The Trial Period For This Product Has Expired.” I knew this was not the case so I decided to looks at the ULS logs.

Here is the error I was seeing in logs (Seems to be misleading since the error the user sees is “The trial has expired”)

Getting Error Message for Exception System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Util.UrlManager’ threw an exception. —> System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.     at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)     at Microsoft.Win32.Registry.GetValue(String keyName, String valueName, Object defaultValue)     at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Util.UrlManager.<>c__DisplayClass1.<OpenFileNameMap>b__0()   

It looked to be an issue accessing the registry on the servers. I fired up perfmon and low and behold some access denied errors to SharePoint-related registry keys. Instead of changing these manually I ran the following command to reset the SharePoint security for the file system and registry:

Psconfig –cmd secureresources

Or you can use the PowerShell equivalent: Initialize-SPResourceSecurity 

After that I rebooted the servers for the changes to take into effect and that page started loading up.