The other day I was troubleshooting an issue with a botched User Profile Service. The Synchronization had been stuck for 20+ days so we decided to re-provision (Stop and Start) the service. After going in to Central Admin | System Settings | Manage Services on Server and stopping the User Profile Synchronization Service I noticed the following error in the eventvwr Application logs (Likely because the incremental sync job was stuck):
I went back to the Manage Services on Server page and noticed the User Profile Synchronization Service was still stuck on Stopping. Also, the status in PowerShell showed “Unprovisioning…”
I let it sit for a while and still not luck. I then stopped the User Profile Service (From Manage Services on Server) and then the User Profile Synchronization Service changed the status to Stopped. I started the User Profile Service and then the User Profile Synchronization Service and everything started syncing up again.