Windows 8.1 In-Place Upgrade Fried My Virtual Switches!

Working at a Microsoft Partnered company has its perks, one of them the being able to early adopt new Microsoft technologies. I am always one to play around with the latest and greatest version only to uncover that it has left some things broken. I was previously cruising along with Windows 8/Hyper-V Manager for most of my SharePoint lab environments. I had 17 VM’s utilizing 2 different virtual switches: 1 for internal networking on my ajb.local domain and 1 for external access (bridged w/ my wireless adapter). Pretty sweet eh?! After the 8.1 upgrade not so sweet though…I was not able to add any new virtual switches in Hyper-V Manager and the previous 2 switches were not working. The closest thing I could find was:

I tried many things to fix this:

  1. I tried adding all types of Hyper-V switches to no avail: internal, private, external
  2. I tried re-installing the networking components of Hyper-V per
  3. I tried removing/re-installing all of my NICs and upgraded them all to the latest 8.1 compatible drivers
  4. I tried removing/re-adding the Hyper-V Windows Feature

Then, I noticed that I had 6 unknown devices in Device Manager..All of them were for the “Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport driver.”

I was getting the following information from logs:

  1. The events tab of the Unknown Device it said the following information:  …dne2000m.inf_amd64_402958294a9e4eb3\dne2000m.inf for Device Instance ID ROOT\DNI_DNEMP\0000 with the following status: 0xE0000217
  2. Event Viewer Application Log:  Event filter with query “SELECT * FROM __InstanceOperationEvent WITHIN 10 WHERE (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_ExternalEthernetPort’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_VmLANEndpoint’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_SyntheticEthernetPort’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_ComputerSystem’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_VLANEndpointSettingData’)” could not be reactivated in namespace “//./root/virtualization” because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
  3. Event Viewer Log – Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS/Networking (This is also what the GUI displayed when I tried to add a new switch):  Switch create failed, name = ’78AFE310-9CAA-4001-8D72-1F7EE0C263EC’, friendly name = ‘New Virtual Switch’: %%3758096900 (0xE0000204).

I started doing some research from log #1. This (Specifically the DNI_DNEMP piece) ended up being related to an old Cisco VPN client I had previously installed. I uninstalled this client long before I upgraded to Windows 8.1, but somehow parts of it resurfaced after the update.

Most Important Registry Keys in my Case: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0000] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0002] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0003] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0004] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0005] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\DNI_DNEMP\0006]

See here for the full list of registry keys to check out:

Everything is back up and running..I’m back baby…I’m back!