I was contacted about a BI site without SSRS content types the other day. I sent them this document and we went through everything on it: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326289(v=sql.120).aspx

When trying to deactivate and reactivate the Reporting Services Integration Feature we got the following error..Bwomp

The content type with Id 0x010100C3676CDFA2F24E1D949A8BF2B06F6B8B defined in feature {e8389ec7-70fd-4179-a1c4-6fcb4342d7a0} was found in the current site collection or in a subsite.

First, we tried using brute force with some PowerShell magic:

This successfully activated the feature, but still no content types.

I then went on a PowerShell-ing magical journey to see if I could find if SharePoint was lying to me. It was…

*This script searches the entire web app to see if it can find a content type with ID 0x010100C3676CDFA2F24E1D949A8BF2B06F6B8B. The first line looks to see if the Reporting Services Integration feature is enabled anywhere else.

Since this returned nothing (And I did a few manual checks to make sure PowerShell wasn’t lying to me too. Trust issues..I know) I did some searching online and found some recommended fixes:

  • Most blogs state to use the -Force command like I states above. Even though it does successfully activate the feature…still no content types
  • Tried clearing the SharePoint Config Cache
  • Tried repairing the Reporting Services Add-In on ALL servers
  • Did a SharePoint rain dance..just kidding..maybe

Then I found this awesome official Microsoft article on the Reporting Services Add-In Installation: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905871.aspx

There is an area of this article that talks about using a two-step install to troubleshooting issues. This was the Golden Ticket…A normal repair didn’t work, but this two-step install/repair did the trick. I only needed to do the following steps on the SharePoint server running SSRS (This specific farm had 2 servers and these commands did not need to be run on the other server).

I fired up the command prompt (As Admin) and changed directories to the rsSharePoint.msi file (SSRS Add-In install file..You can get this right out of the SQL installation files or go here and grab the appropriate one: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg426282.aspx#bkmk_sql11sp1)

Msiexec.exe /i rsSharePoint.msi SKIPCA=1

This popped up the Reporting Services add-in installation wizard. I clicked repair as I did before and it completed successfully. The SKIPCA=1 parameter skips installing the Reporting Services Custom Actions and puts another Install file in the %TEMP% location or C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Temp

With the same command prompt window opened I changed directories to this location and ran the following command:

.\rsCustomAction.exe /i

This is what it should look like on your end..

PowerShellforRS

After that I checked out the BI site’s site content types and look at those sexy beasts:

Content Types